20070226

Weekender

And so endth the weekend. In the three days I have had off I, along with help from my lovely assistant, completed about 90% of a set of shelves/cabinets for our garage. As you can see, it's not just for us, but for our neighbors as well. It's taken me a number of weeks to get this project to where it is, primarily because of the joint work I have put into it. I put all of the supports together with half-lap joints and since I don't have a (working) dado, I got to play a skillsaw/chisel combination. I wasn't trying for perfection, but in order to get it somewhat close I really had to fiddle with the blade depth and spend some time cleaning. Then, for the separations and end-pieces I put in OSB inserts using.... is this a basic dado or a spline joint? Regardless, when I had it at a depth of 1 inch it had my router smoking .... not the wood, the motor. So I pulled up to 1/2 inch and things worked out better. Then the ol' glue and screw. Basically I expect this to be bombproof.

Although I take some satisfaction in having built something this sturdy, particularly when looking at the end piece by the door, I wonder if I haven't come up with a two dollar solution to a one penny problem, again.

In other news, the dogs are doing well...ish. Tycho has 'eliminated' in the house a grand total of four times now, twice this past weekend. It's a little frustrating, but on the bright side I have become used to the smell of excrement. I suppose if I ever have to change a diaper that it'll be useful.

No comments: